Regulations for River Skjern
- The angling season opens 16 april and closes 15 october.
- It is only permitted to use one hook on the line: a single-, double- or triple-hook. The hook must be barbless or with barbs completely removed.
- When you use worm as bait natural bait or bait with smell, you may only use hooks witout barb.
- Shrimps and roe (fish eggs) are forbidden by law in Skjern River system.
- The quota is divided in several groups, each will be closed, when it is used up. Read more about it here: www.skjernaasam.dk
- All salmon and seatrout caught must be recorded online at www.skjernaasam.dk under “Fangstrapporter” within the same day they are caught.
- There is a bag limit of one killed seatrouts per person per year (SÅS request for catch & release because the population is low).
- Fishing in Skjern River system at SÅS is only permitted with: a special Salmon ticket called “Laksekontingent”, fishing license and the State Angler Fishing License.
- If in doubt please refer to the notice and waiver to fish for salmon. The angles are responsible themselves about the rules for fishing in Skjern River system.
The board of Skjern River Federation (SÅS)
Recommendations from “The danish Technical University” DTU.
- If the gentle unhooking of a fish is impossible then cut the line close to the hook.
- You should allways carry a hook-releasing tool (e. g. pliers) and a pair of scissors or clippers when angling.
- Do not lift a fish out of the water, if it is to be released.
- Your angling gear ought to be strong enough to fight a big fish, avoid long fights that exhaust the fish unnecessarily.
- Never use a landing hook (gaff) if the fish is to be released.
Recommendations from Skjern River Federation (SÅS)
- Please release all seatrout. The number of seatrout has been declining over several seasons.
- Always handle fish, which are to be released, quickly and gently.
- Apply some measurement mark on your rod, so that it is easy and quick to measure the fish, while it still is in the water.
- If you are in doubt of the precise length of the fish, then please decide in favour of the fish and release it.
- Landing nets should be knotless with wholes not larger than 1cm in width.
- When you have reached your bag limit or if one of the quotas has been fulfilled, please consinder using a small single barbless hook. Also consider the cessation of using bait with scent and/or worms.
- SÅS recommends that the number of released salmon per person is on a sensible level i. e. consider stopping fishing after a catch of two salmon due to an obvious run of fresh fish.